Episode 8: Three L’s of Leadership.
- “You have two ears and one mouth. Use them accordingly.”
- Listening is the most important skill.
- Anyone can bloviate, and most people do.
- Formulating your answer in response is important, but it’s not the most important thing.
- Active listening – Engaged in the conversation.
- There is a misconception that leaders have to have all the answers. It is ok to not have the answers.
“Most of the successful people I’ve known are the ones who do more listening than talking.” — Bernard Baruch
REFLECTION QUESTION: When it comes to the people in your life, are you doing more of the talking or more of the listening?
If you want people to listen to you, you must first listen to them.
Two questions you ask someone who wants to embark on the leadership journey:
- “What are the three books you are reading right now?”
- It is said that Winston Churchill read a bood a day even during war time.
- Even if you are not reading at all right now, you can start!
- Some books you might consider right now:
- “Who is teaching you?”
- You want to learn the right things and make sure you are on the right track.
- Ask people who know your industry well and make sure they have the fruit on the tree. If you want to become like somebody, spend time with those people.
- Hangout with mentors and coaches.
- Be selective. You are the five people you hangout with.
- Aspire to hang out with the people you want to be like.
- Be the dumbest person in the room.
REFLECTION QUESTION: How are you becoming better?
Leverage (To be continued…)
Three things that all leaders need to learn to leverage that are key to their influence of people and their success as a leader.
MO’s Final Thoughts:
Leadership never stops. You are always in the process of leadership. This week, as you go out and spend time with people, I want you to think about, “Am I listening in this situation?” Once you start to listen you are automatically going to learn. If you can get those two things under your belt (listen and learn), for the next seven days, you will put yourself in a great position to have more influence on people.
Special thanks to:
Work it out by LiQWYD https://soundcloud.com/liqwyd Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported — CC BY 3.0 Free Download / Stream: https://bit.ly/l_work-it-out Music promoted by Audio Library https://youtu.be/erSmdVocHO0